LIFE AMDRYC4 is a demonstration project with an innovative character that presents a new approach to promote natural solutions for the adaptation to climate change of dryland agricultural systems in the Mediterranean area.
Belonging to the 2016 call of the LIFE Programme, as part of the Climate Action subprogram, its main objective is the promotion and promotion of resilience to dryland agriculture climate in Mediterranean areas and its sustainable, intelligent and integrated management, as a basic tool for adapting to climate change based on ecosystems (EbA) and strengthening its mitigating role as carbon sinks, so that they are sustainable and persistent.
DURATION: 01/09/2017 – 31/12/2022.
PROJECT BUDGET: 1.863.729 € (60% Cofinanciación Europea – 1.118.166 €).
The main objective of this proposal is the promotion and development of climatic resilience in Mediterranean dry farming areas and its sustainable, smart and integrated management as a tool for climate change adaptation based on Ecosystems (EbA), as well as its mitigation role as sustainable and persistent carbon sinks.
- To implement adaptive solutions through soft-technologies and sustainable, smart and integrated measures leading to an Ecosystem based Adaptation (AbE) to climate change, with a practical and demonstrative development of the project among main stakeholders.
- To develop methodologies and monitoring indicators to quantify and assess transformative changes in carbon stock in soils (4 per 1000 initiative), ecosystem services of natural capital, and combat against desertification on Mediterranean dryland farming soils.
- To contribute to a more accurate practice-oriented knowledge, and an enhancement of these agricultural systems, through modelling of organic carbon accountability and ecosystem services to assess adaptation (EbA) and climate change mitigation, integrating cost-benefit analysis.
- To encourage ex ante and ex post transferability and replicability of project actions, through implication of stakeholders interested in promotion with Voluntary Agreements with farmers. Establishment of a Land Stewardship Entity as a catalyst and driver for the adoption of the adaptation strategy.
- To promote sustainable, smart and integrated development, through improvement of dryland farming soils, in order to encourage the fixing of the population to its territory, circular economy and rural employment.
- To contribute to governance, analyzing financial instruments, and concreting new proposals for after-LIFE project sustainability that allows sustainable, smart and integrated growth in rural areas with dry farming.
- To inform, create awareness and encourage main stakeholders in dry farming systems about sustainability in order to encourage a change in corporate culture, through the promotion of the calculation of carbon footprint, that will allow progress towards a low carbon economy and implementation of EbA.